Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How I got started

As I start my third year of triathlon, I want to reflect on how I got into the sport and how it has changed my life.  It all started when my husband said he wanted to do a triathlon.  I remember looking at him and asking him, "That's the swimming- biking- running thing, right?"  We already had road bikes and had been cycling for a couple of years but we were both living a pretty sedentary lifestyle and, I for one, had the pounds packing on. 

He mentioned this in January, so as I began to do my research I saw that most of the races started up in April and May.  We found a local shop that sponsered a series of races and I decided that if we were going to do it we might as well dive in and do it.  I signed us up for The Windcrest Freshman Triathlon that caters to first timers.  Brian, my husband, was surprized that I signed myself up as well.  He didn't think that I would want to do one and he was proud that I signed up as well. 

I was so nervous on race morning.  The anticipation was a killer as we waited to get into the pool to start our swim.  When I did get in the water, I thought I was going to die on the 200m swim.  I was so out of breath and my body felt so heavy when I got out of the water and tried to run to my bike!  I sat down and put socks on my feet before putting on my bike shoes.  My first T1 was 2:14!!  The bike was a two-loop course of  five miles each and went OK.  Then it was time for the run -  my lungs felt like they were going to explode and my legs felt all wobbly from being on the bike.  I think I ran maybe the first 10 yards of a 2 mile run and then I had to walk.  And then an amazing thing happend, people who were passing me were telling me "Good Job" and "You're almost there".  It gave me such a lift that I was able to start running again.  I crossed the finish line and promptly ran to the bathroom and puked my guts out.  It was the best experience ever!!  I found my husband and said, "When's the next one?"  I wanted to race again the next weekend I was so hooked.       

For my first season I was nowhere near the top of my age group but it didn't matter.  To me, this was about personal improvement and pushing myself to limits that I didn't even know I had.  I've made many new friends and feel so much healthier and stronger.  Now instead of just sitting around I'm out swimming across a lake or biking or running with my friends.  I'm am so glad that we discovered this sport and hope that I can continue to do it for as long as my body lets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment