Friday, January 10, 2014

Catching up…Marathon, Christmas 100x100, Monica’s Mile, and 2014 Races!

It’s been a while since I’ve sat down to write something, so I’m going to have to squish a bunch of thoughts into this one. 

SA RnR Marathon – I finished my second stand-alone marathon back in November before Thanksgiving and it was what it was.  I still haven’t cracked the 5 hour mark (5:08) but I’m getting closer and I’m just happy that I finished this race on a day that was extremely warm and on a course that I did not like one bit!  And, of course, after stating we would never run a stand-along marathon again, Aixa, Kris, Brian, and I are signed up for the Austin Marathon in February.  That’s what happens when the pain goes away and you’re left still trying to achieve your goals!!



100x100 Christmas Day swim – When you have friends like mine, who like to do epic shit on their birthdays, then you wind up swimming 100x100’s (6.2 miles) on Christmas morning.  Kris is a Christmas baby and she always like to try to do something fun on her birthday.  This year she decided on this swim and most of us were crazy enough to say we’d do it with her.  Luckily for us, our friend Linda has access to the Josh Davis Natatorium so we were able to do this swim set in style.  This has got to be one of the most interesting experiences in my life.  The longest I had ever swum was 4,000 meters, so doing more than double that was pretty daunting.  But once I hit 5,000 meters I knew it was just a matter of me to “just keep swimming, just keep swimming”.  It turned out to be a bunch of fun and a great way to start Christmas morning and celebrate Kris’s birthday!!


Photo credit:  Robert Cordova
Monica’s Mile – January 5, 2014, the 2nd Annual Monica’s Mile swim was held.  This is a great event that’s held to help raise money for children and for my friend Monica, who continues to blow everyone’s minds away with her amazing progress after being hit by a car while riding her bike and suffering a horrible spinal cord injury.  She is continually proving what a strong person she is and defying all odds by getting closer and closer to being able to walk (and race) again.  She swam the full hour on her own and beat her own goal by 300 meters!!  We all showed up in our “Will Swim For Donuts” swimsuits and swam the hour.  Even Shelly came out!!  It was really great having Shelly back out there now that she’s had her baby and she’s getting back in “training” mode.  And she kicked butt by swimming 3,000 meters in the hour.  Piece of cake (or donut) for her!!      


Now it’s time to focus on 2014.  I’m signed up to race Ironman Coeur d’Alene in June and I’m super excited about that.  It’s going to be an amazing adventure and I can’t wait to share it with you all.  But first, there’s:

            3M ½ Marathon on January 19
            Austin Marathon on February 16
            New Orleans 70.3 on April 13

I’m looking forward to all of these races for special reasons.
 
3M because for the past four years I have wanted to do this race, but it just never seemed to line up for me.  Finally, this year it’s going to happen.  I can’t wait to see my ½ marathon time on this course since it’s supposed to fast (mostly downhill elevation).  And of course all the office supplies that come in the swag bag.  I love office supplies!!

Austin Marathon because this race and I have a history.  I’m not going to say any more about that now because I’m extremely superstitious and I don’t want to say anything.  Stay tuned for that blog entry.

New Orleans 70.3 because, well, because it’s New Orleans!!  It’ll be my first trip to the Big Easy and I’m super excited to see Bourbon Street and all the sights there are to see there.  I’m not super excited about the swim, but it is what it is.  It will also be my last race before IMCDA so it’ll be fun to leave it all out there.


I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!  Here’s to 2014!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment