Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Oilman 70.3 Race report

After having raced only short-course races during the beginning half of the 2015 season, I decided sometime during the summer that I was ready to tackle another 70.3 for my end-of-the-season race. I picked Oilman because it had been a couple years since I had done it and I really, really liked the venue. Halloween weekend came and Brian and I packed up the car and headed to Conroe to stay at the race host hotel, La Torretta Resort and Spa. Even if you don't want to race, this place is super nice to stay and I would highly recommend a visit here.

I was excited for many reasons going into this race:  to see where my fitness was; meeting some new Smash teamies (Jenny, Gemma, and Veronica) who were going to be at the race; and meeting up with A-team Part Deux (Karen and Anthony), who were both also racing.

Photo shoot for Chloe & her racing shoes:)
We got to Conroe early, picked up all the race stuff, did a quick scouting of the new swim and run courses, met up with Karen and Anthony for a quick dinner, and then it was back to the hotel room to get up off the feet and relax.

Me and Super Gemma!
Race morning came and it was a bit chilly and the clouds looked ominous. I was hoping that they would blow over the night before but no such luck. Looked like it might be a little wet for the bike ride. At transition that morning I got to meet Jenny, Gemma, and Veronica and we chatted for a bit looking fabulous in our Smash kits. :) Setting up my bike and gear in transition I was very unsure of what I would wear for the bike. I was worried about being cold on the bike and I was running around asking people what they were going to wear on the bike and left with somewhat of a plan for what to wear.

For once, I was the first wave to start so I was super nervous about being late but I got down to the start line with plenty of time to get in position and "visualize" my race one last time.

Overall, I am so extremely satisfied with my race. After DNF'ing at Austin last year, it was so nice to come out and push hard at a 70.3 event and still have an amazing time doing it. My swim wasn't where I wanted it to be, but I couldn't ask for a better bike or run. I felt like I was getting pushed around on the swim and had to correct myself a few times to stay on track. Not my best swim, but not my worst either. I opted to just wear by tri kit on the bike and I think that was the best choice. It was a little chilly when the rain started coming down on us on the bike but when it stopped the weather was perfect. There was a slight headwind on the way out but I thought I stayed in a pretty good mental state and stayed safe on the course, avoiding slick white lines. At the turn around the sun peeked out and the roads were drying up and I had a tailwind blow me back in. I would have loved to have gone sub 3 hrs on the bike but maybe that's what saved my legs for the run.

My face when I saw Aixa!
The best surprise was when I pulled into T2 and saw Aixa on the sidelines cheering me on! The original A-team had made the trip to Conroe to cheer us all on!!! That was such a super nice surprise!

I started my run and was able to keep a nice clip right off the bat. It was amazing to feel so fresh after biking 56 miles. As the miles kept ticking off in the 8's I began to get excited that this was the race where I would finally crack the 2 hr half marathon time in a triathlon. I tried not to get too excited but also kept pushing the pace hoping I wouldn't implode. The course was three loops and wound in and out and around the golf course. It was mainly flat but there were some sections where the camber of the trail was so tilted that it made it hard to run. The support on the course was great and I got to see Brian and Aixa multiple times during the run. I fought hard the last 2-3 miles to not let my pace drop off too much and I crossed the finish line completely exhausted but extremely happy with my effort.

DONE!!! Almost a 1 min PR!
Happy finishers!

Swim - 43:41
T1 -2:37
Bike - 3:00:39
T2 - 1:44
Run - 1:57:12
Total - 5:45:54

No comments:

Post a Comment