Tuesday, March 10, 2015

3M Half Marathon 2015

MAJOR DISCLAIMER!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE GROSS PICTURES OF FEET, DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO THE END OF THIS POST. THE LAST PICTURE IS TERRIFYING!!!!


I was super excited to do this race again, as it boasts a mostly "downhill" elevation for the majority of the course. This has been my best race so far when in 2014 I ran it in 1:51. I call it my "assisted" PR race.

We started out with a big group of us going to do this race but with an assortment of reasons, it ended up just being me and Brian and the A-team racing on Sunday. Always fun to race with the A-Team!

We went up Saturday for a short run around the lake and then hit up packet pickup. I had planned to run but woke up Friday and Saturday morning with some congestion I wasn't sure was allergies or the beginning of a cold so I decided to just save it for the race.

Pre-race meal at Torchy's - Damn good tacos indeed!
"Super Star!" fun at packet pickup


Race morning came and we met at 5 am and carpooled up to Austin Sunday morning. This was Aixa's birthday, so she had a birthday brunch planned back in San Antonio giving me extra incentive to Run Fast!!

I enjoyed this race even though I didn't have the run I wanted. I was still able to stay under 2 hrs with a 1:58:11. I held on with all had to hang on to it, so I'm proud of myself for doing that. A couple major missteps happened in the morning when I was getting ready to leave. I realized I didn't have any nutrition to take with me and ended up only with one GU that I took before the race started. I figured there would be nutrition on the course. There was, but not until mile 6 and by then I could myself fading. I was drinking the Gatorade on the course but it wasn't enough.

I was so happy to finish under 2 hrs at this race. Even though the course helps you out, you still gotta put in the training to get you where you want to be. Lesson learned 3M, lesson learned.

A & L Team!!

Obligatory finisher pic with the Capitol in the background

POST RACE B-DAY BRUNCHY GROUP PHOTO

This was my first race in my new shoes. I had done training runs in them before and hadn't had any problems with them. Not sure if it was a combination of the compression socks and shoes or if it was entirely the shoes, but here are my feet after the race! That was painful!

My first ever blood blisters:  Thing 1 and Thing 2


No comments:

Post a Comment