Thursday, March 5, 2015

Rock n Roll 1/2 2014


This year the race was finally pushed back the December and it was so worth it. The weather was perfect and I was excited to see if I could hit my goal of going under 2 hrs. My training had been hit and miss with some really great runs and then some collosal fails and blow ups. I had been having some lingering foot pain all year that was really starting to get annoying. It was after this race that I decided to switch shoes....you'll see the result from that decision In the next blog (warning: not for the squeamish). 

Anyway, Brian and I arrived at the race and went to the planned meet up with the A-team but they were no where to be found. We figured they were out there somewhere and we'd meet up after the race. We walked up to corral 3 and we wished each luck and took off once it was our time to go. 
 
I got into a comfortable rhythm and tried to not take off too quickly. I was holding steady and around mile 4 I felt it - the slap on the butt as Aixa caught up to me. I laughed and cheered her on as she ran past and explained to the man next to me that she was my friend and it was okay for her to slap my butt. It's her thing! 


Overall I was pretty happy with this race. I had some trouble after the hills around Trinity Univeristy regaining some speed and that's where I felt I lost a lot of ground. As I got to the last 3 or 4 miles I knew that I was going to have to pick up the pace to go under 2 hrs. I tried my hardest but I sort of fell apart at miles 12 and lost some speed. I finished in 2:01 and change. It ended up a PR by seconds for a 1/2 in San Antonio so I took that as a victory. 

Brian CRUSHED his race and ran a 1:38!! He was stoked and I was stoked for him. He trained so hard for this race and I was sooo happy and proud of him! We caught up with the A-team and Anthony and Karen and Shelly and they all had great races too. Overall it turned out to be a great day and, Kris, the only one of us that stuck with the original plan and ran the full, broke the 4-hour mark and ran her first sub-4 marathon. So super stoked for her for sure!!! 


My mission after this race was to keep plugging away and get that sub-2 half marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment