Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Kerrville 70.3


This turned out to be a fun weekend of spectating and racing. Fellow IW'er, Kris, was racing on Saturday so we headed out early to cheer her on. It turned out to be so much fun with me, Brian, Herb, and Aixa rooting for Kris and Trent. Kris totally rocked her AG and took home 2nd! Watching all the sprinters just got me even more pumped up for my race the next day.

Go Sprinters!
Go Kris!!
Yo
           
I recently had gotten a Retul fitting for my bike and I was nervous/excited to see how the new fit would feel. I had only been able to ride my bike maybe once before the race and I wasn't sure how adjusted to the new fit I was. I also changed out the gearing and cranks on my bike so I was really putting a lot to chance for the bike portion of this race. I think this really showed on my race splits. I averaged over 19 mph on the first loop of the bike but when I was out on the second loop it felt like all the life had been sucked out of my legs and I barely managed to roll back into town on some pretty tired legs.

Admittedly, I also was not being very good and skipping a lot of workouts. I think I was feeling a little burned out from all the IM training and I think I was more zealous about racing then actually training for the race itself.

Anyhoo, race morning came and it started off fine, but somewhere along the way, I got very angry. Not sure what happened (but I'm pretty sure it was on the bike), my normally good mood was very sour. Racing angry is not fun. It did not make me more aggressive or faster, but rather seemed to suck out any energy I did have. This was quite the learning experience as this has never happened to me before. My legs had no life. I tried to pick up my turnover and nothing was happening. This made me angrier as I could see my goal slipping away from me.

Regardless of this, I did manage to eek out a race PR if not an overall PR so I was happy with that one bright spot. I have to thank my friends who were out there cheering me even with my grumpy puss face. I did manage to finally break a smile or two after the second loop of the run. This race tends to have this effect on me. I either have a totally awesome day or I struggle a bit (a lot). Don't worry Kerrville, I'm not done with you yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment